Frederick Weston Miner was born 5 Sept. 1866 in Norwich, Chenango Co., NY; he died 25 April 1942 in Savona, Steuben Co., NY. Fred Weston Miner was the son of Sereno W. Miner and Sarah Louise Williams. His father, Sereno Miner died in 1870 when Frederick was only 4 years old. His mother, Sarah Louise (Williams) Miner married (2) Frank E. Benedict in 1872 in Canton, Bradford Co., PA. Frederick assumed the name Benedict from his step-father, Frank E. Benedict. Frederick W. Benedict married (1) Estelle "Stella" Tubbs 31 Jan 1887 in Bath, Steuben Co., NY; Estelle was born 17 July 1869 in Bath, NY; she died 2 Aug 1905 in Bath, NY. She is buried in the Grove Cemetery, Bath, NY.
Frederick Weston Miner Benedict and Estelle "Stella" Tubbs Benedict had the following children:
Elizabeth "Lizzie" (1888-1890)
Genevieve "Jennie" (1891-1906)
Marjorie Juanita (1896-1957)
Esther Frances (1899-1977)
Fred Vincent (1905-1926) - Fred Vincent was accidentally shot by his cousin Robert Gleckner, Jr. in a hunting accident.
Frederick W. Benedict married (2) Verna Deming Crandle 27 Dec. 1909 in Canton, Bradford Co., PA; Verna was born 20 April 1879 in Grover, Bradford Co., PA, the daughter of Job Robards Crandle and Martha Rosette Barnes. She died 11 Oct. 1967 in Corning, Steuben Co., NY and is buried in the East Canton Cemetery, Canton, Bradford Co., PA.
Together Fred & Verna Benedict had seven children:
Rosette Gertrude (Died as Child) (1910-1912)
Janet Crandle (1912-2008)
Weston Crandle (1914-1988)
Ellen Crandle (1915-)
Martha Crandle (1917-)
Job “Cran” Crandle (1920-1991)
William Crandle (1922-1995)
• Née Frederick Weston Miner; assumed the surname, Benedict, from Frank E. Benedict, his step-father who married his mother, Sarah Louise (Williams) Miner in 1872.
• 1870 Federal Census, NY, Chenango Co, Norwich lists Sarah L. Miner, age 28, with no husband, census was taken June 1870 and Sereno died in March. With Sarah Miner is Fred W. Miner age 3 and Hattie Miner, age 1. Also listed in this household is Julia (25) and Alice (23) Arnold.
• 1880 Fed. Census, Pennsylvania, Bradford, Canton Twp. lists Fred Miner age 13 living with Frank E. Benedict and Louise Benedict and their daughter, Maud (5) and Fred’s sister, Hattie (10).
• 1887, Steuben Courier, Benedict, F.W. married Stella Tubbs, Jan. 31, 1887; married at Bath at the home of Mrs. James Edwards, both of Bath. (Feb. 4. 1887)
• 1890, Steuben Courier, Elizabeth R. Benedict, died Aug. 13, 1890 at age 2 years, daughter of Fred & Estelle Benedict (Aug. 15, 1890)
• 1891 Bath Village directory lists Fred W. Benedict, clerk at 13 Rumsey St.; Anna M. Edwards, widow of James N. Edwards at 13 Rumsey St. and Melissa Tubbs, boards at 13 Rumsey St.
• 1900 Fed. Census, NY, Steuben Co, Wheeler Twp, lists Fred Benedict, b. Sept. 1866, age 33, married 13 years, farmer; Stella, b. July 1869, age 30, had 7 children/3 living; Jennie, b. Aug. 1894, age 8; Marjorie, b. Mar. 1896, age 4; Esther, b. May 1899, age 1; Stella must have had an additional two children prior to 1900 who died young as I have only accounted for six children, one of whom, Fred Vincent, was born after the 1900 Fed. Census.
• 1910 Fed. Census Bath Twp. lists Fred W. Benedict with wife, Verna C. Benedict, born in Pennsylvania; Fred’s occupation listed as collar maker in a harness shop; none of his previous children are listed.
• 1920 Fed. Census NY Steuben, Bradford Twp. lists Fred W. Benedict with wife Verna, children Janet, Weston, Ellen and Martha; occupation farmer; census taken January 1920.
• 1930 Fed. census, NY, Steuben Co., Bradford Twp lists Frederick W. Benedict, head of house, age 63, b. NY, married first at age 19 (1885), farmer on a farm; Verna C. age 51, b. PA, married first at age 30 (1909); Janet C. 17; Weston C. 16; Ellen C. 15; Martha C. 12; Crandle J. 9; William C. 7, all children b. NY.
• Death Cert lists his father as Cyrenus Miner; info given by Verna C. Benedict of Savona, NY.
• Obituary, Corning Leader: Savona, Fred W. Benedict, 75, died this morning at his home in Savona. He was born in Norwich, NY, the son of Cyrenus Miner and Louise Williams Miner Benedict. On Dec. 27, 1909 he was united in marriage to Miss Verna Crandle. Mr. Benedict was a very estimable citizen and was a retired farmer, a member of St. Thomas Episcopal church of Bath and of the Savona Grange. He came to Savona 15 months ago, having lived 27 years in Sonora and previous to that in Bath. His survivors include his widow, and five daughters, Mrs. Parker Hoffman of Tullahoma, Tenn; Mrs. Howard Wilson of Huber, Oregon; Mrs. Arthur Harron of Winchester, Mass; Mrs. Marjorie Dobrott of Pasadena, Calif; Mrs. Leon Palmer of Dundee; also three sons, Weston of Savona; Crandle and William at home and two grandchildren. Funeral arrangements are incomplete.
• Funeral Notice: Fred W. Benedict: Savona: the funeral of Fred W. Benedict was held Tuesday from the late home. Burial was in East Canton, Pa. Bearers included: Leon Palmer of Dundee; Leland Palmer of Addison; Dr. Parker Hoffman, Tullahome, TN; Weston, Crandall & William Benedict, all of Savona. Out of town guests included Dr. & Mrs. Parker Hoffman, Tennessee; Mrs. Arthur Harron & son, Arthur, Jr. of Winchester, Mass; Mr. & Mrs. John Gilbert, Penn Yann; Miss Betty Palmer, Penn Yan; Mrs. Maude Crandall, Avoca; Mrs. S. G. Hoffman, Painted Post; Mr. & Mrs. Leon A. Palmer, Dundee; Mr. & Mrs. Leland Palmer, Addison and sons, Arthur and Garry Richards.